Fwd: trot versus gallop

I have two horses that I compete. My little Star sets herself into a nice
energetic trot that she will do all day and end up in the top 3.  My gelding,
Rajah, wants to gallop or lope rather than trot.  He will trot when asked but
is constantly trying for a gallop.  Not trying to race, he just likes to
travel in that mode.  One of my books mentioned about horses being more
comfortable at different speeds.  He is knew to the sport and is learning to
use his trot better and more efficiently but still prefers the gallop mode.
When he starts to tire he will break into a lope rather than a walk like most
horses.

I encourage him to trot but still let him use his lope more than normal.  I
have to admit when he gets into that gear it feels like there is no effort on
his part and he could go forever.  And so far he will go as long as I let him.

I would like some feed back on trot versus gallop.

thank you
December

---- Begin included message ----

---- End included message ----