Re: Wintec saddles

> > The main problem is that even the "wide" tree tends to be too narrow for
> > many Arabs and can seriously pinch the withers/shoulder area.
>
> Every Arab in our barn that is ridden in a Wintec (close contact and A/P
> models) has huge white patches on the withers and one has thickened skin under
> the white hair.

I rode in a Wintec for years when I first started endurance. I was
primarily in a 2-point position or posting with a lot of pressure in the
stirrups. When Shatirr developed these spots, I put the saddle on his
back and located the source of the pressure... the stirrup bars! If you
stand in the saddle, or weight the stirrups much, the weight of the
stirrup bars creates pressure points.

The only parts of the Wintec that are solid are the stirrup bars and the
pommel support, which used to be a 10 inch strip of 3/8 x 1 inch metal
bent to an approx. 45 degree bend in the middle. The degree of the bend
determines the tree width. This bar is easily removed (if you can sew!)
and modified by a welder or blacksmith.

Can you guess how I know all this stuff about Wintec's? Yep! Autopsied a
"dead" one!!! Then put it back together and use it for a kids lead-line
saddle.

One thing I've found with saddle fitting problems (have spent many hours
watching, working with and talking to "experts") is that most problems
have a transparent source. If the saddle is placed in the horses back
and the fit analyzed carefully, even a layman can notice irregularities.
Identifying the problem **usually** isn't the rocket science that many
of us think it is! Solving the problem is the rocket science, which is
how I got into making casts of backs, and why I own SR Enduros and
Sports.

Without a girth or pad, place the saddle on the horse and put a little
pressure on the seat. Notice if it sits straight on all four corners, or
if it has a slight dip. Is it level front to back? If you slide your
hand around under the saddle you will notice pressure points, areas
where the saddle feels tighter or gaps. If you have someone lead the
horse directly away from you, side to side movement in the cantle will
let you know the the shoulders are pushing the saddle back and forth
causing a loin rub...

Often all we have to do is give ourselves a little more credit and
*look* for ourselves!! I'm having a saddle fit problem now with one
horse in a Saare...  I know that all I have to do is "look", but have I
done it? Not as carefully as I should. Working with a friend makes it
easier to focus and pay the right amount of attention.

Give yourself permission to see the problem, then take the time to try.

Linda

P.S. Regarding shims, I fixed them in place with double stick carpet
tape until I had the fit "right", when I'd sew them in place. Unless all
of your paddling material is the same composition, getting a good fit
without lumps and edges is tough.