big trot

Lori said:

I also have the wind puff problem, but am finding it is affected more by the
terrain than the gait.  My vet & I discussed a management plan & came up with
using support wraps or boots (I am using the Professional Choice SMBII) in
training (using your judgement to maintain comfort for the horse - like
checking for dirt build up periodically).  After the ride, rub legs with
liniment & alcohol (50 50) then turn out or if put in stall, wrap with a
standing wrap.

Do these SMBs involve the fetlock? or just the tendon "zone"?  I'm having
no significant trouble with "filling" other than the fetlock area.  Am
doing the leg care, very much as you say, and it takes the windpuffs down,
but they always return.

The other thing you might consider, is training your horse a few "gears"
rather than the extended trot especially so you can rate over rough terrain &
save the legs from concussion & the twisting & turning that goes with rocks &
uneven ground.

I'm trying! I'm trying!  but we are talking major attitude here!  This guy
is, like, 14'2"; I think I am dealing with a "napoleon complex"!  He has
his own agenda, and does NOT appreciate constructive criticism!

Hope this is helpful,
Lori, Sky & Packy

Thanks for the input!  I guess my worry is: that we all want this "big
trot" because of the speed and comfort, but I wonder how "safe" it is for
the horse, long-term.  I really like this horse (so how nuts am I?) and
fear for his future. (Got to have something to obsess about, I guess!)

Thanks, Terre