Big Trot

Hi Terre -

I also have the wind puff problem, but am finding it is affected more by the
terrain than the gait.  My vet & I discussed a management plan & came up with
using support wraps or boots (I am using the Professional Choice SMBII) in
training (using your judgement to maintain comfort for the horse - like
checking for dirt build up periodically).  After the ride, rub legs with
liniment & alcohol (50 50) then turn out or if put in stall, wrap with a
standing wrap.

The other thing you might consider, is training your horse a few "gears"
rather than the extended trot especially so you can rate over rough terrain &
save the legs from concussion & the twisting & turning that goes with rocks &
uneven ground.

I am currently working on this myself & along with the leg management am very
happy with the results.  Granted, I have yet to test this on anything longer
than 8 miles, but so far so good - this horse is also ridden 3-4 times a week.

Hope this is helpful,

Lori, Sky & Packy
AZ