big trot

Recent posts on the subject of horses "picking up" or "going into" a big
trot have reminded me of a question that's been bothering me:
	One of my two horses travels in the classic "daisy cutter" manner; energy
efficient and smooth, the only downside is a slight tendency to stumble,
since he only picks his feet up just barely enough to clear the ground.  My
other horse is hot and fast, with a "big trot"-the covers the ground all
day at amazing velocity with a hr around 115 bpm.  The problem is, this is
essentially his ONLY trot; even in pasture or when we are alone he does
this!  Can hardly slow him down to a "working" pace, have never got a trot
I could sit.  Bought this guy as a 10 yo; he had never done much of
anything in his life except a little trail riding and packing (I am
actually having some trouble visualizing this, since I owned him six months
before I could get him to walk!  He also bucks, shys, and bolts, but
hey--let's not be picky!)  Anyway, the downside is windpuffs--big ones, all
four fetlocks.  He comes in from the pasture with them sometimes.  On the
positive side, they are no worse after a tough 100 than after an easy
training ride, but still they scare me.  My question is this: Do you think
there is a price to be paid for that "big trot" in long term soundness?
Does anyone else see this?  Or is this just "too good to be true" endurance
rider pessimism?  Proper leg care takes them away, but still I worry about
the long term prospects for this guy.  (Can't DO anything about it--just
worry!)  Anyone have any experience with this?
Terre