Re: horizontal cracks

I think I almost qualify as an expert on Horizontal cracks.  Jas has suffered
with them since 95.  No, she wasn't abused on hard surfaces, whether at an
early age, or later on.  She wasn't ridden until 4, & then only lightly.  At
5 she did some 25 mi. CTR.  By age 7 we started endurance.  At a spring ride,
on the eastern side of the state, she not only cracked open, but bled from
the coronary. (This mare, from day one, has never grown hoof.)  Also, for you
"doubters" she has as close to perfect conformation as you could want in a
"working type" Arab.

Since then, we've done over $1,000. worth of testing, & bloodwork.  Spent
probably that much or more on hoof suppliments & vitamins of various types,
different feeds, shoes, pads, easy boots, radiographs, etc.  Four vets, at
different times have tried their hand at solving the problem.

We thought it was solved, since we finally grew out a solid hoof (Leaps &
Bounds) & made it through a tough 50, with no cracking - but a month later at
another 50, the problem reappeared, though not as severe.

A couple theory's have emerged.  1. Since the cracks appear early on in a
ride, usually by 15 mi. , I'm going to start her out very slow, allowing the
hooves to "warm up".  2.  The blood is getting down to the hoof, but for
whatever reason, not going back up the leg, hence it finds the easiest escape
route, the coronary band.  So, we're going to try a pad with more padding
under the frog, to try to help pump the blood back up the leg.

FYI, this has never caused lameness, but at times, depending on the
difficulity of the terrain, her butt muscles get sore from her attempt to
alleviate the impact on the front.  Also, the cracks only appear during or
after a competition, never after even a very difficult training ride.

So there you have it - I think they are more common than we realize, but why
is the question.  Possibly heredity, since our other horse has never had a
problem.

Connie H.