RE:Easyboot Shock absorption

Thanks for responding!   I'm new to all this.
Here is more info on the horse who splintered his coffin bone.  He began training
as a 4-year-old with a light weight rider.  We rode quite a bit on the Auburn/Cool
section of the Tevis trail and trails in Oroville, CA.  Oroville has some rocky areas
but not too bad.  His owner rode him 3 days a week and after about a year of train-
ing we were doing 15-20 miles as an average training ride.  She liked to gallop the
horses on flat stretches of trail or if we came to a dirt rode.  I disapproved of this,
even tried to tell her it probably was not good because the footing was pretty hard.
There was little I could say though.  I was "the novice",  I was riding her
backup horse, and she had been competing for years generally finishing in the
top 10.  She retired her old top 10 horse and this new gelding was a 16 h (and
measured accurately) pure Arab and absolutely gorgeous.  He was chestnut with
4 white socks and white feet.  By the time he was 6 he was developing the odd
horizontal cracks across the front of the hooves, though he was sound except for
an occasional few off steps.  He completed several 50's and even finished in the
top 10 on a few 50's as a 7-year-old.  He was never pulled from a ride until she
attempted the Tevis on him when he was 7.  He was dead lame at 30 miles.
It was not until then that she finally took him in for x-rays.  The vet said that the
coffin bones had probably been splintered for 6 months and were healed as well
as they could.  It was recommended that the horse be ridden gently but often, like
a pleasure horse.  He was sold to a lady who enjoys family trail rides.

I believe that she pushed these horses into training too fast and pushed them to
work harder than what they were ready for early in the season.  I admit, I tend to
want to go easy on the horses and that is exactly  what I am doing now that I
am training my own.  We did at one time discuss the hardness of the trails and
the wisdom of running these guys on the hard dirt rodes, but then she pointed out
all the other successful riders she knows who train this way.  And the dirt rodes
are no harder than the Auburn trail which we also rode fast on.

Now I ride alone, slowly, walking often and trotting carefully on my own horse who
now wears Easyboots.  She is 8 and I only started conditioning her on the trails
last July though I rode frequently restricted to flat rice land before that.
 Still I worry.   (and still I wonder-just how much are the Easyboots helping?)

Patty J.  JBCO@JPS.NET