Re: club foot

From: Judy Long
Email: julong@cisco.com

My appy has mis-matched feet.  The right front is more upright and club-like than
the left front.  It's been our experience that although it is not what
you would choose in a prospect, it's a manageable condition for us.

In Warpaint's case, he has been shod for the last 6 years with a 2 degree wedge
page on the left front (the more normal looking foot).  It is needed to give
both his feet the same angle.  In the 6 years with this setup the only problems
we've had are when he has lost the left front shoe.  He was shod this way after
some problems in the first year or two
of doing endurance.  The normal foot
was getting more and more spread out and he was getting sore on it.

He now has been doing endurance for 7+ years and has 2000 miles.  I wouldn't
recommend picking a horse with uneven feet but it is possible to keep one
sound.  Of course as we always say, all horses are different so what works for
one might not for another.  His club
is not severe.

I think if you look in the archives there have been some discussions in past
years about club feet.

Good luck!

Judy Long and Nachi Sunshine (Warpaint)
Hayward, Ca.