Re: WEC

In a message dated 98-11-02 17:21:04 EST, ccrespo@nigma.com writes:

<<  The problem is not
 the team but the process of selection. There are many other
 great riders that were left out of the team by the personal
 opinion of a group of individual selectors who may not know them
 or ever seen them ride. >>

Of course there were great riders left off the squad.  As long as we have more
than 6 great riders, there will ALWAYS be great riders left off the squad, no
matter HOW we run the selection process.  And we have more and more great
riders on the long list every year, so more and more great ones will get left
off every year, no matter how the choice is made.  It used to be we had to
twist people's arms to go; now we have so much depth that I think everyone on
our alternate list is quite capable of going and representing us well.  Isn't
that fantastic?  However, the selectors are chosen every year AFTER the long
list is chosen, precisely so that there is ALWAYS a selector that knows each
horse well and comes from the same area as each horse, precisely for the
reason that each nominee deserves to be evaluated throughout the year by
someone who DOES know that horse inside and out.  Hence each horse and rider
have an advocate in the process as it were, and that person is expected to be
ruthlessly honest about how that horse is doing relative to how he has done in
the past.  Is he getting better?  Is his career in a decline?  I can still
remember having the difficult job as a selector for Pacific North in 1995, and
having to tell the other selectors that one of my absolutely favorite horses
(ridden by a good friend of mine) had crossed the fine line of being peaked
and was beginning to run on the ragged edge.  The other selectors argued with
me, as this had been one of our "top drawer" horses all summer, but my
negative input prevailed.  The horse tied up three weeks later at a tough
100-miler and had to be treated.  Thank goodness he was not included in our
Flagstaff squad.  This sort of experience is also why those of us who have
been close to the process also realize that the idea of a head-to-head ride in
which the nominees risk all is not a workable idea.  The head-to-head risk-all
event is the championship event for which one is selecting.  Damage incurred
risking all prior to the event can last for months, and could completely
derail a squad selected by head-to-head competition.  I have been extremely
proud of several of our nominees who have held back and taken seconds at rides
this year when some loose cannon goes to the front to "take on" so-and-so.
Had two ladies "take on" Darla Westlake and Sharon Westergard at my Sunriver
50 this year.  Darla and Sharon wisely let them go.  One of the ladies was
pulled at the finish, and the other did finally meet criteria at her hour, but
not by much.  With the DQ of the one, Darla and Sharon were second and third.
Sure enough, the lady who won faded later in the season...  Meanwhile, both
Darla and Sharon have healthy horses; one is going to Dubai, and one is high
on the alternate list.  Have seen several other nominees make similar choices
for the good of the squad, and they earn a heap of respect from me for it.

Remember, Carlos, the goal of selection is not a popularity contest, but to
put together the best possible squad.  The selectors with whom I have dealt
have kept that thought firmly in mind throughout the entire process, and have
done a fabulous job.  I am glad to see that you are running as a zone rep; I
think you will learn a lot if you have the opportunity (and will TAKE the
opportunity) to watch this process from the inside.  If you do get elected by
your zone, you will also find that the International committee is very open
and up front about everything they do.  It is one of the hardest working
committees I have ever been on (yes, I was a zone rep for awhile, too) and the
people on the committee have so far been very united in trying to field the
BEST possible teams and support them as completely as possible.  Your input
will be welcome, although most of the folks on the committee have been working
on this problem for a long time and can already tell you about ideas that have
been tried and have failed miserably.  If you try to reinvent the wheel, they
will let you know.  I warn you, too--this committee often works so hard that
that is all you will have time to do at Convention...

Heidi