Re: Dubai-Child Slavery-US Participation at WEC

   Jessica/Charmaine -
     In reading all of the posts regarding the WEC in Dubai, I always held
these children in my thoughts.
     When the plight of these poor children is juxtaposed to questions on "how
deep is the sand" or "how high, the humidity", it can be a reconciliation
impossible to make, i.e., "should we participate in the WEC in Dubai?".
     It is clear (to me) just how self-indulgent we, as a society, can be.
However, our pursuits, professional, personal and (probably) national, seem to
be inline with making society an okay place to live, in this country and,
hopefully, in other countries in a non-jingoistic fashion.
     That said, I know of many "endurance riders" who ride for all sorts of
reasons.  To ride or not to ride to make a "political statement" would be like
spitting in the ocean, sure it's proactive, but can truly make no difference
in the volume of water in the seas around the world.
     In my opinion, conditions like those described in the subject matter need
the attention of our "national" conscience.  By posting your post you have
helped to formulate that.
     I know, from reading the posts on this list, that we, who ascribe to
stopping "horse abuse" wherever it rears its ugly head, think it
unconscionable to consider that conditions for the CHILDREN OF FELLOW HUMAN
BEINGS such as described in your post would ever be tolerated by our
government, regardless of who sits in the White House.
     Unfortunately, as individuals in a democratic society, we can only
"voice" our outrage to our "representatives" in Washington to help bring about
those changes desperately needed to ensure the "rights" of EVERYONE around the
world.
     And, if anyone wants to participate in Dubai, they too have that "right".
     I just hope they drop a line to their Congressman before they leave or
upon their return.
           Sincerely,

           Frank Solano
           DVERITAS@AOL.COM