use of zinc for hair coat

This is an odd question, but I wondered if anyone has ever heard of using zinc to encourage shedding.  I live in a warm climate and am blanketing so I can work my horse without overheating him and dealing with drying a big fuzzy coat.  I am working him in dressage as well as trail and thinking about a small show in January to get him used to activity/traveling etc.  The breeder where he came from feeds their show horses zinc and Natural Glo, and their coats are beautiful -- no lights used, just blanketing.

Shannon
field@azstarnet.com