winter horse managment

I live in northern alberta and the winters can be brutal. We leave the
horses out year round but they have run in sheds . They put on a very
thick winter coat. Feed is the best defense against the cold. They must
have good hay and lots of it when it gets real cold. Grain ect doesn't
help because it is a shorter heat producing food. We keep a heated water
trough available all the time and I make hot mashes on the worst days.
Our gelding doesn't seem to handle the cold as well as the mares. I
blanket him if I find he is shivering but quite often a good walk will
warm him up.
Last winter was sooooo mild for us but they say this winter will be one
of the worst.
Paddi