No Subject

To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: Winter management

I have been very curious about something for a long time. I now have the
means
to satisfy that curiousity......you. I have often wondered how folks in the
northern parts of the US and in Canada deal with their horses in the
winter. I
have very mild winters here in NC and leave all mine outside all the time.
The
few that I help out have shown sensitivity to the cold (use waterproof
blankets, left outside) or are new moms with babies (they stay inside
during
bad weather). Wanted to know how others deal with this.
Leigh Preddy SE

Leigh
Here in sw Mt. we are at 6500 ft. here at the ranch and where we winter our
horses , we average about 2 feet of snow on the ground  which is not alot
for mt., but can get hit with extremely cold temperatures for a week  at a
time  -50 and that is no windchill , just the actual temp. All of our
horses are kept out , a herd that is around 12 - 18 head . These horses
range from weanlings to a 30 yr. old mare ( a gift to me when she was 5 mo.
old) , They are ran in a creek bottom area with lots of willow's as
windbreaks , just feed either grass or grass/alf. hay all winter , salt ,
and a molasses/vit./min. lick and always have access to water . They are
checked and feed every day and when the weather gets real cold , food is
kept in front of them 24 hrs. a day . We also keep back all the grass for
them and do not let them on it until it snows , so they can forage also ,
we run everything from purebred arabs,ex track horses to percheron x's .
The only exception to the rule is when we have a bred mare or a first
winter mt. horse , they are kept up by the house with shelter and a little
more tlc .Everyone comes through winter fat and sassy and ready to compete