Re: Legal Drugs

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 20:43:20 -0700, Cheryl Newbanks
<horsetrails@inficad.com> wrote:

>Did I say Roger or Trilby or name any other long time riders??? I never
>infered to any one person specifically and I am not apologizing to ANYONE.
> I was making a statement that is documented in a few of the old endurance
>riding books I read about 15 years ago (no I am not going to research and
>try to remember which ones they were either to appease you Roger), way
>before I got in this sport.

Chill, Cheryl.

You're a great gal but you're off base on this.  You said "Many horses
would  die out there on the trail (and used to before our nutrition
technology became so advanced) if we couldn't give
these supplements."  And that just isn't so.

Yes, in the early days some horses died on endurance rides.  But it
was never common, and I don't know of a single case of a horse dying
on a ride due to a lack of nutritional supplements.  And I do not
believe a single horse today would die if all we gave our horses
during a ride was grass, hay, water, and electrolytes.  Hell, even if
we only gave them water.

Hmmm ... come to think of it, that's all Kahlil got *during* his
endurance rides:  grass, hay, water, and electrolytes.  I didn't even
feed him grain during a ride.  Knowing what I know now I would feed
small amounts of grain, but if I use any "power supplements" at all it
will be only when running for first place, not to keep my horse alive!

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net