Re: The great drug debate

Joe Long wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:08:02 -0800, softride <softride@cdsnet.net>
> wrote:
>
> >It really seems to me that a lot of people out there are so wanting to
> >do rides that injuries to the horse/mule/donkey are totally
> >over-looked.  Drugs are not given because the RIDER has a ride in 2
> >weeks that they want to go on.    Would you really want to go out and do
> >a 100 or 50 or 25 or, or, or,  with an eye infection  or any other
> >injury??
>
> One year when I was running for a National Championship under the old
> point system (where all rides counted), I competed in a ride just out
> of the hospital from an injury at the preceding ride.  I was still on
> drugs, including antibiotics.  My wife was appalled, but when she said
> so to other riders they looked at her like "What is she thinking?" and
> said, "He has to ride, he's running for points."  Another time I
> competed with my arm in a sling from another injury.  If the goals are
> important enough to you, you do what you have to.

Joe is right on here.  In human athletic endevors there is the saying
"you have to play with pain".  Joe did it.  I've seen riders ride with a
pin in their arms to get miles.  I entered a tennis tournament three
week after I had my appendix out - I couldn'd drive for six weeks but my
doubles partner and I were ranked first in the state and I went out and
played.  We can play on drugs to kill pain.  We can play with
infections. It is our choice.

We can do that to ourselves BUT we have no right doing that to our
horses.

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm