Re: daily selenium dose?

LBHBHNCK wrote:

> Does anyone out there know how much selenium a horse should get each
> day?

The recommended level for working horses is around 1.5 - 2.0 mgs per
day.  Toxicity typically starts around 3.3 mg/kg of body weight, which
is about 1350 mgs/day for a 900 pound horse.  Some horses seem to need
more than 2 mgs a day, which may be the case with your horse.  You could
safely add a vit E/Se supplement without getting into toxic ranges.

You might also consider some additional vitamin E.

Susan G

I have been giving my mare Red Cell as a daily supplement, 2 oz a