Horse "shut down"

Tamara,
It may be depression also.  My mare does this a lot.  Although at one point I was feeding strictly grass hay and found out that it had been "combined" for the seed and there was virtually no nutrition in this hay and she wouldn't even trot.  After a couple of days back on alfalfa, she perked right up.  But the depression thing always happens when I don't go with another horse or leave the horses for a long period of time.  It happened on my first 50 but even now she gets that way when I take her away from her gelding who constantly bites her and chases her all around the corral.
Janet Baca