Rides without managers

     Rebecca,

     I'm regret to say that I found your reply rather flippant and
     demeaning towards the hardships the managers endure to give us the
     wonderful rides that we have. Often times the land used for the ride
     is not available for the random rider that comes up, so to ride this
     land is a special opportunity that we might otherwise not have. Even
     so, without the managers, it's only a training ride, and not
     endurance. Without the ride managers, there's no cutoff time, nothing
     pushing you, no other horses to compete against. No points, nothing
     really to strive for.

     The spark that makes endurance what it is, does not exist without the
     race factor, even for those who ride to finish. I've done 8-hour
     training rides, and I've done 8-hour 50-mile endurance races complete
     with managers and volunteers.  I much prefer the endurance races.
     Without the managers, it's just a training ride to me.

     I'm sure as I manage my first ride this approaching season, I'll find
     the truly unique point of view of the ride manager. But still, even
     now, I know that they give us their all, they stay up for 48 hours in
     a row (if not more), they put up with complaining and bitching and
     moaning as we trample them while sniveling! I think they deserve a lot
     more respect than they get.

     Hail the managers!

     Linda-Cathrine
     AERC NW Region