Re: WEG Selection process

In a message dated 98-10-15 03:59:53 EDT, cvsec@south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk
writes:

<< AFAIK, in the UK there are a number of selection
 rides, timed appropriately so that there is still
 some 'horse' left by the time Dubai comes round.

 So instead of a single selection ride there are
 several. Then, the final selection ride for the
 accumulated longlist is run in a way and on
 terrain that most closely approximates conditions
 in Dubai (don't laugh, I know it is tricky to do
 this in the UK, but they try :-) and a team of
 riders is finally chosen. >>

That is not unlike how we do it here, other than there is not so much emphasis
on a final ride.  The selection rides are chosen based on projected schedules
of the long list (no point in choosing a ride in the northern tip of Maine or
some such unless there are long listers from there) and then all are observed
by selectors.

Heidi