Re: Unofficial WEG Team

In a message dated 98-10-15 00:11:10 EDT, ccrespo@nigma.com writes:

<<  looked up the team rosters for the World Championships in Kansas.
 Out of 16 countries competing only 6 countries had a full 6 member
 team (USA, Australia, Canada, Chile, Sweden, and UAE). Even France
 who won the silver medal competed with only 5 team members. The real
 copetition here was in the individual placings, the team competition
 was already stacked in our favor.  >>

No, Carlos, those are squad members.  There are only four team members, and
those are chosen from among the squad members.  So several countries fielded
full teams, among them Switzerland (who as I remember took the bronze) and
Denmark (for whom I was team vet and who was in the running for the bronze
until the next-to-last vet check).  The squad members who are not chosen for
the team ride as individuals.

Thank you Joe and Teddy for replying to Carlos's earlier post--and yes,
Carlos, I would add to their comments that you really should attend the AERC
International meetings (you too, Jerry) and find out how this is really done
instead of slamming it.  Like Joe, I have also been a selector.  It is a hard
job, requires a lot of work and research and travel and thought, and it is
especially tough when there are more than 6 really good horses.  I have never
known it to be a cloak-and-dagger process, and as I have mentioned before, if
it appears to be so in your area, you need to take it up at the level of your
own zone and discuss the problems with your zone rep, as that is who selects
the selectors from your area.  If your rep is not representing, elections for
zone reps are coming up shortly.  If you are not a member of AERC
International so that you can vote on your zone rep, then don't bash the
process.

Heidi Smith, DVM