Re: Unofficial WEG Team

When we send a TEAM to a World Championships, we are sending 4 horses and
riders and two back-ups.  The day before the event, the 4 horse/rider
combinations with the best chances to finish well are chosen as the team...the
other two get to ride as individuals...NOT part of the team and their
finishing place does not in any way affect the outcome.  The staff is there to
help EVERY rider, but with a greater emphasis on having our TEAM finish with
as low a score as possible. (Score meaning the 3 fastest possible times since
time is your score - the three fastest times on each TEAM are used to
determine the overall TEAM placing). SO, not only is the selection process at
HOME,  but it continues throughout the ride itself.

It is a tough job for the entire staff to keep riders "up", to keep riders
"focused" and to get riders to "listen" to the "coach".  It is a cooperative
effort, it MUST be a cooperative effort with mutual respect and with the goal
geared towards the TEAM and not the individual.

It is indeed a different "game" and the entire selection process, from the
start, MUST take into consideration not just individual riders, but their
potential to ride as a TEAM.

Teddy