WEG Selection process

Hi all,

I am in the UK and have been reading your WEG
posts with interest.

Whilst I agree that performance in one selection
ride is inadequate as it doesn't tell the
selectors who is *consistent*, there is a case
for having selection rides.

AFAIK, in the UK there are a number of selection
rides, timed appropriately so that there is still
some 'horse' left by the time Dubai comes round.

So instead of a single selection ride there are
several. Then, the final selection ride for the
accumulated longlist is run in a way and on
terrain that most closely approximates conditions
in Dubai (don't laugh, I know it is tricky to do
this in the UK, but they try :-) and a team of
riders is finally chosen.

Sometimes people moan about the composition of
the team (why isn't x in it? why did they choose
y? and so on) but it is a case of it being the
riders responsibility to make sure the
appropriate rides are completed in a way
befitting a future team member if they wish to
be considered for the team.

Keeping the selection process entirely secret and
having no qualifying rides seems like a recipe
for disaster in this respect. At least in the UK
people know what they *should* be doing to be
considered for the team, so if they fail then it
is their own hard luck.

Can someone explain the US selection process?
Sorry if someone already has and I've missed it.

Cheers!

Liz and Basil The Nag
--

Dr E Carpenter