Re: AERC rules and radios

The reason this prompt rule was put in place --as Joe said was to keep
non entered rider/horse from pacing a rider..AND to stop the use of
crews on the 'trail'  ie road.
WAY back the crews of the big guns here on the east use to drive down
the dirt road along side the horse and spray water on them for as long
as they wanted.
they also would run along aside the horse on foot.. sort of like leading
the horse while the rider stayed mounted..

and they use to block the trail so no other rider could pass..

ah yes the good old days back in the 70s.. when we had the level
playgound...

so the aerc and rides put in the outside support rule as defined.

now we can only pit crew at vc and the authorized 'p' stops.. which now
most rides do not permit..that is only pit in the vc.. no road crewing.

roc allows controlled 'p' stops.. but if you drive on the 'trail' when
not allowed  your rider is out.. keeps it sort of fair.

then carol - wife- suggests --the pit crews in and of them self are as
'prompting' and we sure know they help to shift the balance of power..
expect for those really tough 100 milers who go it alone.. like the
calvary in the od100 and old tevis frontersman rider with the solo from
roc.. not the in thing for the normal rides..

bet it would really tick off a few if some ride ran a 50 -no crew ride?

new topic.. for those of us that do the 50s how many use crews.. now
that carol is back in the running.. i dont get a crew anymore.. does
make some difference..
but the 100s thats different.. wounder how it would go-- as in how fast
- if there were no crews allowed on a 100 miler??
think they did that way back.  use to go out on trail the day before and
stash stuff.. i remember the  fitzgelds ?? from ca talking about how
they would set stuff out in trees along the tevis trail.

how many do 100 milers without a 'fixed' expert crew.. that is use pick
crew.. only. or only say one person.
the loop 100 milers make it easier  right  but the 100 mile one loop is
rough -at least have to get someone to take your stuff out to the vc..
and you know how that goes.. ie tevis.. never find your stuff at the
main checks.. sort of think the corporate crewing of the tevis is really
neat.. the staff helps everyone the same..
with only 3 legal vc on the tevis.. could you do it with out a crew?

anyway crews sure are a great advantage-- and radio is not going to do
much.

this sort of reminds me of the early days of hrm.. when it was suggested
they not be allowed.. since it was an unfair competitive advantage.. my
comment was -- so whats your point.. and just may help you learn more
about your horse..  now its no biggie..

if we start up a thread.. dont re; on this heading do it under CREWS?

need to start something else..
have a good one

73 and QRT

Roger R