Re: AERC rules and radios

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:59:57 EDT, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

>When you say the word "prompt" I envision someone from backstage verbally
>telling someone onstage what to do.  That is communication, and that is what
>can be done with radios.  My Webster suggests such things under the transitive
>verb "prompt" as "to move to action," "to assist," and "cue."  Although radios
>can certainly be used for other things, those things can quite definitely be
>done by radio communication, and hence would clearly be a violation of rule
>6(k).

If such communication by radio is a violation of 6k, then so is such
communication by other means, such as meeting the rider at points
along the trail outside of vet checks.  The radio does not change
that.  If communication between rider and crew outside of designated
points is to be outlawed then it should be universal.  If it is the
use of a high-tech device that is objectionable, then why not outlaw
heart monitors?  They give the rider who uses them more information
that can be used to adjust their pace, too.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net