Scurf

>Isn't that what they call the flaky skin under the saddle pad after a
>ride?
>What causes it and what can I do to minimize it? I ride in a SS

Hi Kris:

My horse is prone to getting dry, flaky skin.  I think that it is just
caused from riding so much on a horse that has really sensitive skin.

I have found something that seems to work really well, at least for my
horse.  I had bought all the ingredients to mix up Roger's Liniment
Recipe...and happened to have a lot of the pure aloe vera juice left over.
(I bought it in gallon size at Wal Mart)

I poured the aloe juice directly onto a damp sponge, and sponged the horse
down with it.  It really took care of the dry flakes.  I had been using
aloe vera gel in his armpits/girth area for the dryness there, but it would
tend to dry crusty.  The juice/liquid works much better - it really soaks
into the skin.  The hair coat is soft and shiny, and the skin underneath
appears healthy and supple.  (disclaimer:  test on a small area first to
make sure your horse doesn't have a reaction!)

Oh yeah - don't use the entire liniment recipe on your horses whole body -
I did that and it really dried his skin out (live and learn).

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Weaver, who gets lots of TLC between rides