Drags toes

Previously I posted to Ridecamp about my horse that drags his back toes
slightly and stumbles behind occasionally. After a lot time and money here is
what I have found out so far:

Vet number 1:  (also a chiro.) said that his back is fine. On her notes she
said "Rlup and Sacrum, slight rotation dorsal-up" (whatever that means???) and
also that he is weaker on his right side. She adjusted him and said he needs
strengthening exercises and regular work.

Vet number 2:  said possible EPM, back soreness, hock or stifle problems. EPM
blood test came back positive, but then the vet said he didn't think it was
EPM because my horse has a lot of hindquarter strength and knows where his
hind legs are. Flexion tests were negative so he said it must be the back. He
recommended 3 months stall rest, Legend and bute.

New farrier (specializes in horses with problems):  examined him and said
back, stifles and hocks are fine, but that all 4 of my horses feet where
different lengths and different angles. Fixed that. Now he tracks up a lot
better than before and picks his feet up a little higher. Recommended exercise
(gradually increased).

Massage therapist:  said he had some spasms especially on his right side.
Recommended exercise, stretching and massage.

My horse is a 12 year old half Arab half Saddlebred and is very lazy most of
the time. Sometimes, when he is gets excited, he picks his feet up fine. But
most of the time he just shuffles along. You would think that if he has
Saddlebred blood he would pick his feet up very high, but he never has. Also,
he is built slightly downhill and tends to travel on his forehand with a
hollow frame. I am now sure that is why I always get points off for sore back
at the CTRs. (I have had my saddle checked by a few different people and they
said that it fit him good.) I feel that I am a good, balanced rider and I am
not heavy. Also, at my last ride (in June) I got points off for sore right
hind. His pulse is always very good on the rides (wouldn't pain elevate the
pulse rate?).

My horse has been on pasture/stall rest (with daily half hour hand walking)
now for 6 weeks. He does not run around or anything and is really getting fat.
I have reduced his grain to a handful. He seems to be more comfortable, but is
really getting out of shape. His belly is huge and his topline is sagging
which concerns me because when I bought him 2 years ago he a straight topline.

Obviously I need help and advice. I have all these vet bills to pay and I
still don't really know what to do. The first vet who is also a chiropractor
is moving and won't return my phone calls. There are no other chiros that are
licensed to practice on horses in this area. In my heart I feel that the best
thing for my horse would be to start exercises, massage and stretching to help
him gain strength, etc. I want to do the right thing. Does anyone have any
ideas, training exercises, stretching exercises or other opinions on what I
should do?

Thank you very much,
Lynette and Chance (but I like loafing around)

P.S. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and I have a
question: In all my endurance books most of the pictures of Arabians look like
they are traveling hollow with their heads up in the air and their hind legs
strung out behind them. Is this because they are tired or just the way they
move? Would this cause problems?