Re: Kaboot The Strong

Shermano wrote:

>  My 13 year old
> daughter rides our spunky 22 year old Morgan on 10 and 15 mile trips from
> our house, and he never shows signs of distress.   Now she
> wants to try to get him ready to do 25 mile CTR and I wonder if he shouldn't
> rather be thinking about riding off into the sunset,  Is there a magic age
> when horses should be  eased up on, or is there an older age limit put on
> distance riding events.

My belief is that the horse should be encouraged to stay as fit as possible and
compete to the best of their abilities.  If the horse starts to show chronic
problems that make them a poor candidate for distance riding, they get retired
to "pleasure rides".  If they are still interested and sound, they get to go the
distance.

A friend's 8 year old son recently completed a 25 mile LD on his 32 year old,
13H pony!  I don't think that there is a "magic age" to quit.  We thought we'd
retire my husband's horse, Major at 17 - he changed our minds for us this
weekend.  I never saw a horse so happy to be out there and eager to go.

Linda Flemmer