Kaboot The Strong

Angie:  I just read your Liberty Run story and was both amused (as usual),
and frightened (a little).   I would just hate to hear of something bad
happening to a famous horse like Kaboot.  Your story leaves me with a
greater feeling of caution for my old Morgan gelding. My 13 year old
daughter rides our spunky 22 year old Morgan on 10 and 15 mile trips from
our house, and he never shows signs of distress.  He pants in the Florida
heat, but he always hits the food and water when he arrives home.  Now she
wants to try to get him ready to do 25 mile CTR and I wonder if he shouldn't
rather be thinking about riding off into the sunset, and we might better
save our pennies for a younger horse.  But then again, some older people
train and run in marathons.   Is there a magic age when horses should be
eased up on, or is there an older age limit put on distance riding events.
Or maybe, is there a pre-ride vet check item that older horses would have a
harder job to pass.   Can you help me out with any of these questions?
  Sherman, in Fl.