Re: Sierra Club

In a message dated 9/28/98 9:17:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
skuykend@tax.state.ut.us writes:

<< Based on some of the comments I've read recently, I'm beginning to wonder
if it is impossible to be an environmentalist (i.e. Sierra Club member) and a
participating member of the endurance community.    Please help me understand
some of the anti-environmental sentiment being voiced on Ridecamp.  What have
your experiences been with Sierra Club members and other environmentalists?
Any environmentalists out there and how do you reconcile concerns for the
environment with your passion for endurance riding?

 Sheri Kuykendall and Jos (living in the midst of urban sprawl)
 Salt Lake City, UT  >>

Many of us are very concerned about the environment, so we could call
ourselves "environmentalists".  It's just that some proclaimed environmental
groups are extremists, making it very difficult for those of us who make a
living off the land or those of us who enjoy using it is some reasonable way.
The Sierra Club in our area of California seems to resent any use of the
wildnerness other than by those who are able to traverse it on foot.  They
often fight vigorously against use of trails by horseback riders as they feel
that horses are destructive to the environment.  They are opposed to farming
practices and especially timber harvesting.  One wonders if they really stop
to think where their food and wood-related supplies come from (i.e. housing,
paper of all sorts, fiber for clothing).  But when it comes to recreation,
they don't want to cope with horse droppings on the trail.  We can all be
concerned about the environment without becoming unrealistic about it.

Barbara McCrary