Re: Rules Question

In a message dated 9/28/98 12:17:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dowling@skyway.usask.ca writes:

<< I would like advice from Ridecamp concerning something that happened at a
ride this weekend. In the 50 mile
 race, the riders completed a 25 mile loop twice. There was a 45 minute hold
at camp after the first loop. A rider
 who gets easily distracted took off two minutes early from his 45 minute hold
with another rider who had been
 cleared to go. The people at the hold were unable to call him back. What
should be the penalty for this? I can't find
 it expressely in the rules. Management decision was to add two minutes to his
final ride time, which made a
 difference in final placing. I'm really curious as to what the best way to
handle this would have been. It never
 dawned on me that anyone would ever leave a check early.

I once discovered I had made an error in time calculation and I left a vet
check 5 minutes too early.  When I discovered this, I automatically added the
5 minutes to my time, thus depriving me of a win.  However, this was the only
fair thing to do and I did it.  If I had been a ride manager under these
circumstances, I would have added the amount of error time to the rider's
finishing time and placed him accordingly.  A person could certainly leave a
vet check early by mistake - it's happened before.  It would be sad to think
someone would do it intentionally and hope to get away with it.

BMc