Re: Trailering

I personally feel that a horse can be trailered loose in a stock trailer
safely IF: 1) there are no openings large enough for the horse to get head or
feet out or stuck 2) The truck/trailer/driver combination is not at risk of
trailer sway caused by the horse moving around. 3) Driver is very experienced
in defensive and "comfort" driving techniques.  I have hauled horses loose in
stock trailers, tied in stock trailers, tied in slant loads, tied in side-by-
sides etc., you get my drift. I've been hauling for 25 years once to three
times per week on average. No one can truely advise someone without knowing
the trailer, horse and driver.
 Also, speaking of trailering. Leaving Biltmore, I came upon three ladies
pulling a trailer where one of the horses had fallen in the trailer. Her
trailer had mats, but no bedding. They had already unloaded and reloaded the
fallen horse and the #2 horse, they were just reloading the #3 horse when we
arrived behind them. The #3 horse slipped badly while stepping into the
trailer. With some insistance, I gave them several flakes of hay to put around
the feet of the horses for traction. I realize that hay is not best, shaving
or even dirt would have been better, but it was the best we had. NOTICE: your
trailer can become very slick, even with rubber mats. Put bedding down for
your horses! For our cows, we shovel a few scoops of dirt or sand and it works
great for them and easy to scrape and hose out afterwards. With horses I use
shavings.
Leigh Preddy SE