Re: Most Important of the Bylaws Changes

In a message dated 98-10-08 08:10:50 EDT, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< Give me the details so I can intelligently decide.  Far too
 often we are told "it is for our own good", or "it has to be this way"
without
 any good sound reason behind it.  Just because someone says it should or must
 be, does not make it so.  There are far too many laws and rules being
effected
 without clear sound reasoning behind them.  It is our RIGHT to KNOW.  I, for
 one, WILL NOT vote in favor of this or ANY change WITHOUT  good sound
 reasoning.

 We all also ought to know that the IRS usurps power, lies and cheats FAR more
 than we realize.  >>

I would also strongly suggest that AERC seek advice from an attorney who
SPECIALIZES in tax law.  I know that we have attorneys on the Board, but
unless they specialize in tax law, it is like going to a urologist to have
your knee replaced.  We had an outstanding tax attorney in Bend named Geoff
Whiting (who works with a firm that specializes in tax law, or has a branch
that does, at least) who did all of the work on the 501(c) corporation that we
put together for the Pan American Championship Endurance RIde in 1997, and we
could never have done it without him.  He did a great job, did all the
communication for the IRS, and really smoothed the way and made things clear.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)