Re: warts

In a message dated 98-10-05 13:02:53 EDT, RQFarms@aol.com writes:

<< ..her vet said to let them run their course  but they are
 getting much worse any help would be appreciated... >>

I concur with her vet.  Warts are caused by a virus, and they generally last
about 2 months.  After that the horse is usually immune to them.  I don't get
too concerned unless they get huge so that the horse is banging them on
things, or unless they are in a spot that interferes with something.
Sometimes pinching a few of them off will help to stimulate the body to build
an immunity to them, but other than that, there isn't much one can do that
doesn't cause more harm than the warts do.  They are not generally painful,
and I think they bother us far more than they bother the horses.

Heidi