ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Free Horse

Re: Free Horse

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 17:00:16 -0800

Trishmare wrote:

> Dear group, I have received so many inquiries about the free filly I thought
> I'd post this one so any one interested in this horse will know more:
>
> << I would like to know more about this young filly. Exactly what is it she
> does that makes you think that she is so dangerous. <snip>
> You want her, she is yours. Come get her. Please.

I get the impression that she is an alpha mare wannabe who has not had
adequate socialization. Everybody, people included, are at the bottom
of her totem pole. I suspect that she is charging in the field, won't
allow submissive (on her part) touching, probably is a pain to handle
her feet, snaps, pushes, crowds, kicks & strikes. I'm willing to bet
that she is tough on the other horses in the field, too. A mare like
this DOES NOT belong with a timid rider or in a public boarding
facility. The liability is way too high! I also agree with you that
you, as the board facility owner, should not have to deal with her or
train her out of self preservation. It is so much simpler to have a
good horse in her stall.

I rehabbed an appaloosa gelding like this - LOTS of hard work,
persistent training every SECOND with the horse for nearly 2 years, and
the horse was never a horse for a beginner or a timid rider. He didn't
respect people, their space, and would not submit to every day grooming,
leading, etc., reared to come down on folks on the ground, and worse
before we started. He now has a successful career in the Virginia hunt
field. He's a gentleman with an experienced rider, but reverts to a
spoiled (but no longer dangerous) brat with a beginner.

I would <not> send this mare with anyone who wants to "breed her for
babies". Viscious mares are often poor mothers. If she won't stand for
touching & grooming, what will she be like for vet exams, breeding, and
foal care? How will she care for her foal? How would you like to see
the foal savaged, or unable to nurse since she won't allow it to touch
her flank and udders?

Should she be dog food? Perhaps not - I would give her a chance with
the understanding that if there were no improvement in her attitude
towards the world in 3 months, off she goes. I suspect that she will
test each person that ever comes in contact with her for the rest of her
life.

If your friend does give her up, I would suggest a form stating that the
mare will not be bred until her temperment can be reassessed. No papers
so she can't be registered with the QH folks. (Unfortunately it doesn't
stop breeding for 1/2 Arab registry.) I'd also suggest that she have
first right to reclaim the mare (for the cost of training & board fees)
if the recipient wants to get rid of her - she'd have control over the
mare's ultimate fate that way.

I know of at least three places in the mideast/atlantic states that
could do well with her. One is a woman who rehabs throw aways at the
slaughter houses and "untrainables" into Virginia field hunters. The
second person (who I think is full now) has rehabbed "freebies" into
endurance horses - some far worse than she sounds. Last is me & my
husband - been doing rehab for 12 years, now. Unfortunately my husbands
frowns and points at <no> empty stalls right now.

Let me know if I can help your friend.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV