Re: club feet

rikan@e-z.net
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 07:14:50 -0800

CMikeT@aol.com wrote:

> Bev,
>
> I never once had any bruising or abscessing that could be attributed to it
> being club foot. He did get the normal stone bruising, but never more on the
> club than on any of the other three.
>
> The most important thing is whomever trims/shoes him. Whenever I would not
> have the farrier out within 6 weeks of the last shoeing, the club foot began
> to cause problems. But if I kept him on schedule, there never was a problem
> whatsoever.
>
> Mike

Mike,
I feel so much better with all the comments coming in on clubbed feet.
All are positive, I can't wait to get over this abcess and see how
she'll do. I have a gelding that competed last year and the
personalities of these two horses is like day and night. Nursing
Amity(Calamity) and worrying about the abcess and the club has been so
frustrating, you folks have relieved a lot of worry. I live in the
Pacific Northwest and the last ride of the season was Nov. 8th, the
rains have begun, feeling a bit blue. I wanted to give
Mannigan(gelding) a few months off and start conditioning Amity. But
between the abcess and the rain have lost my motivation, soooo Mannigan
and I started dressage lessons at an arena. He did very well today,
calm and cool, not his usual competative self, ok with me, but I feel
guilty not letting him pasture the winter. I read that dressage is good
but know that many people give their endurance horses down time. Do
you? Feeling Horsey Blue, Bev