Re: Shorties last ride

Jacqueline Mansfield (jaxson@leopard.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:04:42 -0700

At 02:36 PM 11/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Jane Sheppard wrote:
>>
>> Old Shortie was real excited to be going for a trailer ride this morning.
>> She was whinnying to the others saying
>> I think when we got to the Wildlife waystation and old Shortie saw the
>>lions and the other old horses she was a little puzzled

>I'm sorry Jane, do I understand correctly that you took your old pony
>that you owned for 20 some odd years, to a holding pen to be
>slaughtered for lion food??????
>I'm sorry, but this was the most coldhearted thing I have read in ages
>Tracy

I have to agree with Tracy that I was SHOCKED to read this - I *guess* it
is endurance related because Jane mentions that Old Shortie was retired at
28 after completing her last endurance ride, but what is the purpose of
this post to Ridecamp? It almost seems like Jane is trying to start an
arguement about what should be done with elderly horses - allowed to die
peacefully at home, or recycled into the food chain. I could be wrong here,
I guess when people post an email like this they should make it clear why
they are posted it. Jane may be looking for support/sympathy, wishing to
reminisce, or ???

Jacqueline Mansfield, who has volunteered at Colorado Horse Rescue, is
currently volunteering at Horse Protection League, and hopes to buy an
auction horse in the near future as a personal horse rescue campaign.

Author owned by Winza, 14 year old Crabbet Arabian gelding

Carl Zwanzig: "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark
side, and it holds the universe together...."