ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rabies/perspective

Re: rabies/perspective

Duncan Fletcher (dfletche@gte.net)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:05:17 -0700

A vet cannot diagnose rabies. If it is even suspected, brain tissue is sent
to the state for testing and reconfirmed by tests at Center for Disease
Control in Atlanta. A vet is required by law to report any suspected case.
If animal is alive, it will be quarantined for time and brain tested if it
dies. If a vet has any reason to suspect rabies, it will be tested and
reported. It is of course possible (and even probable) that some cases go
untested and therefore unreported - horse dies in pasture, owner buries it
without a vet involved. Because it the disease is confusing in horses, it
is also possible that a vet might not test, but I think this would be rare.
For anyone in Washington that wants to look at official numbers for that
state, see http://epsilon.doh.wa.gov/epi/rabsum.html. I have been unable to
locate any similar information from other states, but witb a call to the
state Department of Health or the CDC, I am sure the numbers are available.

Otherwise, I agree with the post.

Duncan Fletcher
dfletche@gte.net