ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rabies/perspective

Re: rabies/perspective

DreamWeaver (karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:37:20 -0700

At 08:53 AM 10/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi rabies thread, Here is another .02 making it .04 to date.
>Rabies is a PUBLIC (you, your family, visitors, clients, events
>"liability") health issue. Any of my animals which are in the public for
>events, get a rabies vac.

I'll bring it up to .06...<G>

Here's another thought...even though some of us might not live in an area
where horses have contracted the rabies virus, we DO bring our horses to
areas (for rides) where horses have contracted rabies. I know my horses
have specifically gone to areas to ride where horses in the same county
have had to be destroyed for rabies. Don't think that somebody else would
not bring a sick horse to a ride either.

I agree that we should not go overboard with vaccinations...however, my
horses have regularly received rabies shots and are both pretty darn
healthy.

One more minor point...just because your vet tells you that no horses in
your are have contracted this disease, or that disease, etc....that doesn't
mean that it's true. There are several vets in this area all treating for
different people and they don't always communicate.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville
& Dream Weaver...925 miles