ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rabies vaccination

Re: rabies vaccination

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:39:36 -0700

Trishmare@aol.com wrote:
> We don't have too many rabid coyotes wandering round the horse pastures in
> Michigan. And even if we did, I'd have to be convicnced that the threat of
> rabies was greater than the negative consequences of giving my horses the
> vaccine.

All things considered, this is one vaccine that I believe IS
worthwhile./ Common Eastern carriers of rabies include skunks, bats,
raccoons, and (a <bit> further south from you in Michigan) the
armadillos. Also, if you are doing endurance, you WILL be traveling -
possibly to areas that are having rabies outbreaks. If the unvaccinated
horse is bitten when in the field, etc., the ONLY thing that a vet or
county health dept. worker can do is euthanize the horse so that they
can check the brain tissue for signs of rabies. At the same time, any
handlers of the horse will need to start the series of injections for
rabies. This happened to one of my horses before we vaccinated for
rabies - taking the severed head of my favorite gelding to the state lab
was heart rending. We were all fortunate that his symptoms were not
rabies!! (Actually late EPM before it was a well known disease with a
way to test for it.)

It is also wise to ask the veterinarian to administer the vaccine and
keep a record of it. Some states only recognize the vaccine if it is
given by a qualified professional. This is to assure that the vaccine
is given correctly to maximize the benefit.

Disadvantages - soreness, tissue irritation, incited immune response

Advantages - the horse may survive rabies, and he can be observed for a
specified period of time for symptoms after an exposure rather than
being slaughtered.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV