ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Tack for endurance

Re: Tack for endurance

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 11:52:41 -0700

Lynette Helgeson wrote:

> Hi,
> I went and took the plunge and bought myself a Big Horn Endurance
> saddle. I love the saddle but haven't a clue what all of the rings on
> the saddle our for.

The rings are to hang all the "stuff" we vendors want to sell you as
<absolutely> essential. To whit - sponge, heart monitor case (with
heart monitor), cantle & pommel bags, easyboot carrying bag, map case,
rider's card, etc.

> What do you get for a breast collar? Is there a
> difference from the western breast collars?

Some folks are using the Western fleece breast collars (roper style),
but the fleece gets wet & tends to sag as it gets heavy. I see most
folks using biothane or nylon. (Also note that the breast collar
becomes a place to hand things when you run out of room on all of the
rings on the saddle.)

>Do you put on a back cinch?

No! The western saddle has the reach cincha to prevent the saddle from
flipping up when a large cow (steer, etc) is roped and yanks down on the
front of the saddle. Hopefully that will never become an issue on an
endurance ride.

> western saddle have a off billets on the right side that holds the cinch
> on the saddle and then on the left side there is a cinch strap for tying
> up and tightening the cinch. This saddle has the long cinch strap on
> both sides. No off billet. Is this a mistake?

Some endurance saddles are outfitted this way. The billets offer less
bulk under your leg, & I prefer them for this reason. I switched one
saddle to billets on each side. It will become a matter of preference.

If you feel that your horse's back is sore from the old saddle, he may
need more time to recover. He may be bruised. Check the new saddle for
fit, or get somebody who is good at it to look with you. Are the sweat
patterns even? Are there any lumps? Any frizzed hair? You also need
to remember that at 10 miles, saddle fit problems may not show up like
they will at longer distances.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV