ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rabies vaccination

Re: rabies vaccination

Dorothy Beebe (daadmin@psln.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:49:09 -0700

I vaccinate my horses with 4-ways and rabies every year. I live in the
middle of a game refuge, complete with mountain lions, and had a friend
whose horses were apparently attacked by a lion. She didn't vaccinate for
rabies. She lost one horse and had my Office after her for hiding the
other horse because animal control wanted to quarantine it. I will always
vaccinate for rabies because of that.

This year, a couple of the other horse people in my area, vaccinated with
7-ways, while the rest of us stuck with 4-ways. The two horses that
received the 7-ways had reactions, while the rest were fine.

dorothy & elly (I want a pretty bandaid if I have to have a shot!)
taylorsville, ca

----------
> From: jean m. mclean <jmclea@tctwest.net>
> To: Trishmare@aol.com
> Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net; grs@consider.theneteffect.com
> Subject: Re: rabies vaccination
> Date: Friday, October 10, 1997 8:58 AM
>
> Trishmare@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 97-10-03 05:17:48 EDT, you write:
> >
> > << Do most of you have your horses vaccinated against rabies? No one
around
> > here does, since we haven't had any rabies reported in the area for 20
> > years or more, but I wondered whether I should have Lakota vaccinated
> > since we plan (hope!) to travel to endurance rides this year. He gets
> > rhino-flu and EWT already. Are there any other vaccines that the
> > travelling horse should absolutely have? >>
> >
> > Dear Glenda, I wouldn't get my horse vaccinated against anything I
didn't
> > feel was a serious threat--actually, the ONLY thing I currently
vaccinate my
> > horses for is tetanus. There was a big discussion (which I instigated)
on