ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Sunland Ride

Re: Sunland Ride

Susan Evans Garlinghouse (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:53:07 -0700

webmenu wrote:

> Does anyone have information on the Sunland ride? Difficulty, type of
> trail, camp amenities, etc.
>
> Thanks!
> - Vid

Hi Vid--

I've done the Sunland LD twice and done Warrior's Water Hunt 50, which
is, if not over the exact same trails, over the same area and terrain
and is put on by more or less the same group of folks, who are very nice
and experienced. The base camp is at Hansen Dam Equestrian Center, easy
to find and get to, lots of gas/food, etc in the area. I THINK (not
sure) there are hook-ups in camp area, or at least plenty of water,
excellent level ground, no brush or erosion problems to worry about.
Tons of room. Very nice enclosed area but THEY MEAN IT when they say NO
dogs allowed!!! I used to board/train there and Eddie the facility
manager has NO problem with coming and finding you in mid-lesson,
dragging you off your horse and kicking you off the property because,
heaven forbid, there's a dog quietly snoozing on the floorboards of your
truck at the far end of the lot. This is one ride you can't fudge the
dog rule. Don't be surprised if Eddie is standing at the in-gate with a
rifle wanting to search your truck for illicit dogs.

The start is very sandy, so go easy. The trails are good and firm, but
the wash area can get deep in places. Watch out for a few slippery
asphalt crossings. There's alot of altitude climbing the hills, lots of
up and down on significant grades, as well as stretches of glorious fire
road that you can really crank along if you've a mind to. Some pretty
tough grades to climb up, including within the first few miles. Expect
anything from sand to *some* rocks to good, graded fire roads to narrow,
but well-defined trails. Sunland in November is not one of the greener
areas to be found, but the San Gabriels do have their own beauty and you
get to ride through several different areas, from ridge-running to
oak-shaded, ferny canyons. Rain or shine, the footing will probably be
good, as this is mostly granite, not mud-type dirt. This is NOT one of
the easier rides around, so don't try it with a borderline conditioned
horse, or just do the LD, which is plenty tough enough and a good ride
to try to see if your horse is really ready to graduate to 50s---the LD
at Sunland, IMO, is as tough as plenty of "easy" 50's. I've heard more
than one person refer to the 50 as a "baby Tevis" and I can't say I
disagree, not that I've finished Tevis (yet).

In any event, I'd definitely recommend this ride, given the above
caveats, because the management is good, the vets are great, the ride
banquet is terrific (I won a nifty blanket at the raffle) and the
completion awards are actually worth having (not the main reason, but a
nice perk). Nice nylon gear bags screened with ride logo twice, or one
year a nice muck bucket. Beats a bungee cord. <BG> LD riders are not
treated like non-riders if memory serves. Heidi Paul is a hoot, knows
her stuff and everyone has big fun. Just don't come expecting an easy
ride, it's not. If you're looking for a real ENDURANCE ride and like
feeling like you've really done something at the end of the day, you'll
like this ride.

Hope this helps.

Susan Evans Garlinghouse