ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: manners on the trail

Re: manners on the trail

Joe Long (jlong@mti.net)
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:27:12 GMT

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:02:59 -500, "John & Sue Greenall"
<greenall@vermontel.com> wrote:

>Quite a few "not so nice" stories have been on the list lately about=20
>riders not stopping to help another rider. I am going to be the=20
>devil's advocate here because not every situation is the same. I=20
>have stopped to help riders, who, after being helped on their horses=20
>have galloped off leaving me. ...

When hearing "horror stories," consider another possibility. Stories
get distorted, sometimes on purpose.

I was once running hard after another rider about a mile from the
finish line, having only pulled away from other riders a few miles
back. He cut a corner too close and hit a tree. It broke his girth,
and he and saddle went on the ground.

I stopped next to him to be sure he was OK, and noticed his horse
stopped about 50 yards down the trail. I rode down and caught his
horse, and looked back to see him still standing there looking at his
saddle. I hollered to him "Get up here and get your horse, we don't
have time for you to fix your saddle, there are riders coming!" He
ran up, jumped on his horse bareback, raced me to the finish line and
won the ride.

Later, this story was told that I just rode on by, not helping at all,
hollering "Can't stop now, there are riders coming!"

--=20

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net
Business Page http://www.mti.net