ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Ride Costs

Re: Ride Costs

Terry Woolley Howe (cancer@inetworld.net)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 11:29:01 -0700

Zebella wrote:

> How many vets do you need for a 25/50?

That would depend on the number of riders and the way the course is
layed out. If all the vet checks are back at camp (as a rider my least
favorite type of course) then the number of vets required is less. If
the first loop of the 50 mile course is the same as the 25 mile course
that will help too. The course that requires the most vets would be
where all the riders go to vet check one (where you would need all the
vets to handle the riders which are more concentrated because it is
closer to the start). At that point, if the 25's go back to base camp,
and the 50's go to a different second vet check (if they have a 50 mile
loop), then you would need a vet at the basecamp to handle the 25 mile
finish, one at vet check 2 for the 50's, and if the course is fast, but
still spread out where riders are still coming in to vet check 1, you
would need a fourth vet at vet check 3. Plus, then there is the
consideration of an extra vet to handle treatment of horses without
hindering the normal vetting. I have usually set up my rides where I
can get by with 3 vets and then go to a 4th vet if the entries are going
to go over 100.

If you send me your land address I will send you some information that I
put together for a group that was considering putting on a ride. It
goes over the various management considerations and volunteer
requirements to take into account when setting up the ride.

Terry Woolley Howe
San Diego