ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Any mules out there???

Re: Any mules out there???

Bonnie Short (carriage@olympus.net)
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 09:36:59 -0700

Hi Megan,

Had a very good friend here locally who rode mules for endurance. She died
of lukemia about three years ago.

She won the Haggin Cup for BC at the Tevis on a mule named Hugo.

She also did the American cup on mules. Quite a lady, and I am sure she is
missed in the endurance world.

She made all who knew she was ill keep it a secret. No one knew until she
died, that she was ill. Name was Eva Taylor. She did not start riding
until she was almost 50 ( or so I was told). There was an article on Hugo
in the Western Horsemen many years back that she authored. I do believe he
was one of the first mules to be used for endurance.

Posting this to the list as there may be people out there that wonder what
happened to this wonderful lady.

A neighbor,

Bonnie...in western Washington

At 08:02 AM 9/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Just has a chance to ride the mule again last night- he needed a "tune-
up". Pretty fun to see the world through a pair of long ears after all
these years of horses!

>At any rate, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using
mules in endurance as of late. I was really glad to see Frank Smith's
accompishment in this year's Tevis, so if he's out there on- line, I would
like to congradulate him. Amoung my curiosities:

>Has anyone used Easyboots with mules with any degree of success?
>What is the latest word on the never ending nigthmare of trying to get a
saddle that fits?
>Bits? Hackmores? It seems that getting a really determined mule to stop
when it doesn't want to is something like trying to stop a high- speed
train wreck, so I'd like to hear what has worked and what hasn't on the trail.