ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Pedometer

Re: Pedometer

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Tue, 02 Sep 1997 17:08:51 -0700

Lauren Horn wrote:

> For my birthday I got a pedometer. The givers intention was that it
> could be used on my horse even though it is a human pedometer. Before I
> open the package I would like to see if anyone has succussfully used a
> human one on a horse. What if you change gaits a lot, is it still
> acurate?

The pedometer measures an <average> gait. You would need to mark a
known distance, ride it several times, and count the steps taken by the
horse to "set" the pedometer. It will NOT be accurate at a walk or
canter/gallop then if say, it was set for a trot. Of course, you need
to accustom the horse to wearing it as well.

Roger Rittenhouse had adapted a pedometer for the horse once, but I
don't know what ever happened to it. You could ask him.

I suspect that I'd trade it for something more useful if I wouldn't hurt
the feelings of the giver.I've found that with experience you can
estimate the distance covered fairly well. I also like to track
elevation changes using a US Geological Survey map as we now live in
hills.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV