ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Knee blow out

Re: Knee blow out

Mike Sofen (miksof7@gte.net)
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 20:10:38 -0700

I'd like to cautiously throw this out: is the knee pain being caused by
too much weight being carried in the lower legs (versus being carried in
the seat/thighs)? The only time I've had knee pain was when I
inadvertently had one stirrup shorter than the other - that knee hurt bad
after 30 or more minutes of riding. Finding and correcting the short
stirrup eliminated the pain. Clearly, in my case, too much pressure on
that side, i.e, too much weight on that leg, was the cause.

There are many other possible biomechanical reasons, but this is a simple
one to test - if you never get knee pain at a walk but always get it at
trot or lope, it may be a weight/balance thing.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA

----------
From: connie peach <cpeach@netusa1.net>
To: fourhorn@fea.net
Cc: ridecamp <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: Re: Knee blow out
Date: Sunday, August 24, 1997 1:50 PM

I was thinking maybe my stirrups were to short or to long. But I change
them and it seems the same. I did notice that if I ware gaiters it is worse
and happens much faster. I even had a new pair of knee-high socks and it
was worse. I rolled them down and it was better. I ride in a sport saddle
and love it. But could that be where my problem is.

I did notice that the horse I am having trouble with on getting the farrier
to do him right is really giving me knee problems. Possibly the way he is
travailing is giving me problems? (Interesting )..........

Peaches

God
forbid if there are no Horses
in Heaven