ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #536

Re: ridecamp-d Digest V97 #536

Karen Allnutt (allnutt@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 15:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:14:59 -0400
>From: "Helga Loncosky" <hblmh@ptd.net>
>To: "Endurance Net" <ridecamp@endurance.net>
>Cc: "Morgan List" <morganlist@morganlist.org>,
> "Dressage List" <dressage-l@uncg.edu>
>Subject: Attempted Equine Theft
>
>OK, I have to get this off my chest, and also wonder if anyone else out
>there has any experience with this.
>
>Last night, at 11:30 pm, my neighbor and girlfriend calls, hysterical. She
>had just gotten off the phone with 911, and her husband was out chasing 3
>guys who had a truck and trailer and had stopped below their property,
>snuck to the barn, and tried to steal their 2 horses, a Morab and a
>Haflinger. Of course, I went to her aid right away, we found the horses,
>wet with sweat, and scared to death, but otherwise Ok. The cops lost the
>truck and trailer off a back road not too far from here.
>
>I just can't believe this happened. My horse was just there a month ago!
>And I must tell you, we live in the sticks in Northeastern PA. No suburbia,
>no cities, not even any real big towns! But whoever it was had cased the
>place, and knew what they were doing. We have it down to 2 suspects,
>nothing personally related, of who were there recently, and are
>questionable.
>
>Is this happening anywhere else? I mean I know it can happen, but jeez, I
>thought we were a little better off being remote! I figure whoever did it
>planned to make a quick turn over, a local auction which is mostly horses
>and quite big is today. They could have stolen the horses, and have been
>shut of them by 7 am this morning.
>
>I just had to tell this to someone else, everyone around here has been
>alerted, and everyone is locking up their barns.
>
>Helga Loncosky
>hblmh@ptd.net
>Beacon Morgan Horses
>http://home.ptd.net~hblmh
>"There is something about the outside of a horse
>that is good for the inside of a man."
>-----------Winston Churchill

We have not had any thefts in Iowa lately that I am aware of but we have
had people cutting off horses tails (just the hair not the bone). It is
awful for the horses since the flies are still out.

For all those trying to find freeze branders, call the Bureau of Land
Management, all mustangs are freeze branded, maybe they can recommend
someone/company. Whoever said they stand out like a sore thumb is right.
The laugh for me is most people assume Arabs are the only horses freeze
branded so they think she is an arab. Although a very good looking mustang
(I even had a quarter horse race breeder think he wanted to buy her until
he found out she was just some damn 'mutt' of a horse) Rose is just a
'government' reject.