ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Degenerative joint disease

Re: Degenerative joint disease

Jerry & Susan Milam (jdmilam@fwb.gulf.net)
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 06:09:44 -0700

Patty Gaglioti wrote:

> I have a 12 year old Arabian who was diagnosed with degnerative joint
> disease several years ago. He's been enjoying pasture life with his old> buddy and a little trail ride now and then. He's a real pet. He's been> getting very stiff and stumbles a lot now. I just can't bear the thought of> putting my old friend down, and I can't afford vet bills or expensive> tratments & medications.
> *Has anyone else had a horse with this problem?
I have a 6yo who has arthritis in his 3rd phalanx on his left front leg.
In Feb I went to rides and he would score a 2 and 1 on trot-outs for a
lameness. The ride vets thought it was a suspensory problem, but it
turns out its just arthritis!

> *What can I expect? Exercise is good for him, but don't overdo it.

> *Is there anything I can do to help him? I have my guy on Cosequin and his lamness is gone. I'm riding like before.

*What did you do? He's on Cosequin and will be most likely for the rest
of his life. It's expensive, but I have my horse back now.

It just depends how much he's worth to you. He will be on a high dose
initially 4-5tsp/feeding /day and drop it down a tsp/feeding every 3
weeks after that until his lamness starts showing up again to determine
his mainteneance level dose.

Susan & Sabian