ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Standing in Stirrups

Re: Standing in Stirrups

Linda S. Flemmer (bluwolf@earthlink.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:04:51 -0700

Lucie A. Hess wrote:
>=20
>> Betsy, it's your saddle, when I rode it that one time I could not "Get
out of it" to save my life. The saddle puts you back in a position where
it's hard to balance on your feet. I'd dare say your Frank Baines saddle
will do they same thing, since it's English and balanced to post in. >>

I'm afraid I got confused by what you wrote. A good English saddle will
put you in <prime> position to post or 2 point ("stand"). A Frank
Baines is one such saddle. If she actually has an OF Stitch Down, it is
also a balanced english style saddle, as opposed to some of OF's more
western styles that are not as balanced. (OF will put a stitch down
seat on other models, so it can be confusing at times.)

It is certainly still possible to allow ones legs to swing forward even
in a balanced saddle. It's hard for me to say what might be happening
since I can't see her ride. Saddles that predispose towards legs too
far forward -=20
Sport Saddle (unless stirrups moved back about 1"
OF Patriot
Almost any Western Saddle except charro saddles, Hook and Fallis saddles
Saddle Seat (or flat) english saddles (as used on Saddlebreds & Arabs
in Park classes)

The OF Stitch Down doesn't really have stuffed panels, but the Baines
saddle does. She should see that the panels are not compressed since
that will swing her legs forward. It should set level on the horses
back when normally positioned. (ie. not sloping uphill towards the
withers.)

Even in an "unbalanced saddle" one can learn to post and 2 point
("stand") successfully. There is more strain on the knees and hips,
though, as you struggle to pull your feet & legs under you for balance.

She needs to have somebody watch her and evaluate her overall riding
posture at each gait. With a little practice and instruction, she
should have it down pat!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV